16 November 2008

Nine Miles to Churchill's on a Mean Green Bike


This post inaugurates a bit of backlogged blogging which I have needed to get off my chest and onto the world wide web for some time now. Journey back with me, friends, to Sunday, 12 October 2008. This was the day I ran my first international 10k.

I had this race on my race-dar (that’s race-radar) for some time, but it wasn’t until the night before, around 11:00pm, that I decided to go for it. I had been training to run a marathon on my birthday the following week – a marathon which, it turns out, I could not register for – so I was feeling pretty strong. I thought, I can tackle 6.2 miles. No sweat. But sweat there would be.

The race was run (get it? Run?) by the Rotary Club of Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England. The palace itself is a stunning country house built in the early 18th century. Among its many claims to fame, Blenheim Palace has been featured in such films as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (the site of the Nazi book burning) and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (during Snape’s flashback), and is the birthplace and childhood home of the original Original Maverick, Sir Winston Churchill. Surrounded by gently rolling hills and what Wikipedia calls a “large undulating park,” the Palace stands an impressive, imposing monument to the past – and on the sidelines of my impending 10k.


There was, however, one teensy problem with this race: how to get to the starting line. Sure, Blenheim was a mere nine miles from my Crick Road home…but as there was no coach (bus) running early enough to have me there by 10:00am on that Sunday morning, I would have to find alternate transportation. And at the last minute. After deciding that I probably should not RUN the nine miles there, only to race another six and round off the day with a grand total of 24 miles, Jonathan Kirkpatrick, JD extraordinaire, suggested I borrow a bike.

The bike I decided to use was a seafoam green affair with a rusted wire basket attached to plastic handlebars and a seat patched together with duct tape. I gave it a rickety test ride down Crick Road around midnight, pumped some air into the tires, and deemed it my best option.

Dawn broke cold and foggy, and I left the house in my racing clothes, with keys and the ten-pound entry fee in the teeny pocket of my running shorts. Although I had a vague idea where this Palace was, I had never been there before – but I began my bumpy nine mile journey with a heart full of hope and a belly full of complex carbohydrates. 45 minutes and two wrong turns later, I found myself at the gates of Blenheim Palace, a full hour-and-a-half early. Which, it turns out, was a blessing – it gave me a chance to rest my tingling quads before the hilly race to come. I proudly handed my crumpled ten pounds to the kindly old women taking entrees, and chained my bike to an old wooden fence where other racers were parking their cars.

Perhaps it was my pre-race nine-mile bike ride, combined with my breakfast of Scottish porridge oats, that helped me get a 10k P.R. of 49 minutes. Or maybe the English cheat on their kilometer measurements. Either way, my beautiful run through the fog and the hills over crunchy red leaves up the path to the Palace was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my time in Oxford thus far. Flying high on endorphins and independence, I proudly gulped down some water, wiped the frosty sweat off my brow, and climbed aboard my seafoam beauty for the return home – the soreness in my body dulled by a feeling of invincibility, and the promise of a long nap that afternoon. Which, incidentally, was the best nap of my life.

37 comments:

Ashley L. said...

oh how I love you and your beautiful words, Christye Laurel. I miss you very much! I am looking forward to a much needed reunion (I mean it has only been roughly 6 months...)!

ps. I have at least 4 CDs ready to be burned for you, but due to my lack of $ I will wait to give them to you until you arrive safe in my arms. GET EXCITED (unless of course your oh-so-musically-informed boy has already beat me to it...) :)

累了 said...

精彩,thanks!........................................

雞腿飯 said...

留言支持好作品~加油!期待進步和更新 ....................................................

仲亨仲亨 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE.................................................

童紫勳 said...

青春一逝不復返,事業一失難有成。 ..................................................

嘉容嘉容 said...

工作,是愛的具體化~~~~努力吧!......................................................

香君 said...

很棒的分享~留言支持! .........................................

昱廷昱廷 said...

累死了…來去看看文章轉換心情~........................................

婉耿賢耿賢亞 said...

放棄者不會勝利,勝利者永不放棄。 ....................................................

念強 said...

好問才能博學。

韋于倫成 said...

穿幫成人影音視訊辣妹情慾adult台灣情色情色視訊聊天室手淫挑逗性愛技巧成人聊天成人圖貼陰脣av成人網自慰影片視訊做愛g點女生自慰免費視訊聊天室陰蒂成人聊天色情照片台灣av色情聊天室限制級影片成人av裸體美女色情dvd色情貼片明星露點裙底風光美女視訊免費情色av成人淫叫作愛影片成人情色a片論壇成人資訊成人圖貼色情小說色情小說

韋于倫成 said...

情色巨乳人妻a圖18禁成人自拍裸體成人聊天室走光色情影片av色情做愛sex成人影片18成人性愛線上a片自慰情趣嘿咻情色網網愛聊天情色影片愛愛色情網站性愛影片性愛圖作愛一夜情做愛自拍口交性交露點裸照成人圖片sexy潮吹色情影片色情影片

政儒 said...

色情網自拍影片色情文章比基尼成人動畫色瞇瞇影片網小弟貼影片bt成人成人 影片日本成人網站日本成人網站破解日本成人網址日本成人線上免費日本成人免費影片日本成人動畫日本曾根日本有碼 dvd 專賣店日本有碼進口dvd專賣店日本東洋影片視訊 辣妹g8成人下載av短片-免費a片亞亞 dvd 光碟嘿咻kiss168cu成人bt情色 網4u成人0401影音視訊交友愛情館本土自拍xd成人圖區新人淚成人色網kkg亞洲免費影片av影片欣賞性行為補給站999成人性站最愛78論壇最色情的網站最色情的遊戲最多人聊天室最大a片網

采瑩采瑩 said...

笑話精華~輕鬆一下~
孫悟空為什麼能大鬧天宮,而打不過諸多妖精?
哭笑不得的十二件事
浪漫一點行不行
校園尷尬事件大全(爆笑)
校園寢室騷擾電話

estherme said...

君子如水,隨方就圓,無處不自在。 ..................................................

溫淑芬 said...

快樂是你與生俱來的權力,它不應該取決於你完成什麼。 ......................................................................

韋富 said...

這麼好的部落格,以後看不到怎麼辦啊!!......................................................................

王婷珊 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。......................................................................

韋以韋以 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

啟均 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

鄭湘定 said...

天下沒有意把鑰匙,可以打開所有的門............................................................

茂慧茂慧 said...

One swallow does not make a summer.............................................................

宥妃宥妃 said...

Rome was not built in a day............................................................

子帆子帆 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。..................................................

江美娟江美娟 said...

天助自助者~~大家一起加油!為了更好的將來!............................................................

潘凱花潘凱花 said...

喜歡自己的另一層意義是「接納自己」。..................................................

琬安琬安 said...

人生中最好的禮物就是屬於自己的一部份............................................................

葉仲蓮葉仲蓮 said...

及時行樂-快樂不需要理由............................................................

陳筱黃世谷婷 said...

做好事,不需要給人知道,雖然只是一件微不足道的事,但我相信,這會帶給我快樂。..................................................

萬建彰宇 said...

耐心是一株很苦的植物,但果實卻很甜美。..................................................

秀李李迪秀李李迪 said...

Joy often comes after sorrow, like morning after night.. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

麗王王珠 said...

好的部落格就要和好朋友分享--感謝分享..................................................

耿麗旺麗旺麗旺綺 said...

我來湊熱鬧的~~^^ 要平安快樂哦..................................................

峻胡邦慧v帆 said...

你的部落格感覺很棒,nice job!............................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

值得一看再看的格子,請加油 ..................................................................

王怡迪 said...

很精彩的部落格 期待你的繼續加油..................................................

盛春成 said...

認清問題就等於已經解決了一半的問題。..................................................