06 September 2008

The House at 8 Crick Road

Here I am, safe and sound in Oxford! One of my two roommates is graciously letting me borrow her power adapter so that I can use my laptop in this European country. I live in room 4 on the 2nd floor (which is technically called the 1st floor, don't know why) of my house at 8 Crick Road, a stately brick beauty on a quick, sprawling lane. There are 24 of us in this house, the smallest of two homes owned by the CCCU program I'm studying with, and because of its more intimate setting is considered the most community-oriented house. Which means we're the best.

Despite being incredibly jet-lagged (which gives my eyelids a greasy, heavy feeling, don't know why), I got a great night's sleep, after drinking tea (which is nast-city without milk and sugar, by the way) and chatting with some of my Oxford colleagues. And this morning, I awoke to a dream-come-true: running with friends at Oxford. Three of us got up at 8:00am and found a PERFECT little gravel trail, which winds about 1.5miles around part of the campus. There were leafy trees, and old men with dogs, and ancient buildings, and fresh air, and rain, and perfection. To run in this beautiful old city, rich in history and stories. I am the luckiest girl in the whole wide world.

And now I adventure off into the center of the city, in search of a power adapter (so I can return my roommate's), laundry detergent (so I can wash my running clothes), and coffee (so I can function). Cheers!

PS: I love you, Mom!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

X-
As I sit her in the top on QA with my coffee outside of Ladro on this beautiful Saturday morning, I can't help but think of one thing that would make this 239588439058x better. You. But that is not going to happen. What is going to happen is me telling you that I decided to follow the crowd and get a blog too. So here I am. In the blog community. Enjoy. I love and miss you.
J

Marlette said...

Dear Oxford Christye, you are making me swell with pride. Love, Mom's heart.

Today I a) saw a Mini Cooper with the steering wheel on the right and thought of you; and b) got my hair cut by a 22-year-old girl who graduated in 2005 and has a 5-year-old and a one-month-old - and thought of you!

Thanks for being Oxford Christye and not single mom Christye!


PS - my hair looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Christye, I wish you the best with your adventures in Oxford. And I cannot even express to you how perfect I think it is that you live on a road named "Crick"... it just seems so British.

Oh, and the I truly miss seeing you around la casa verde. Indeed.

LOVE YOU!!

AshleyL. said...

YES. emiliana torrini has a new CD out
YES, it has a song titled "birds"
YES, its amazing
YES, i will send it to you as soon as i get cds :)
and...
YES i do miss you MUCHO.

Adrienne said...

Christye-
I am SO living vicariously through you right now. Live it up, sister...breathe it in and do everything you can to soak up every second.

Thinking of you and praying for you...(and maybe even stalking you on your blog a little bit).

xoxo
Adrienne