09 September 2008

Poetry in Process


halfway through my morning run
they greet me.
two swans—
a welcoming whisper of white
in the august narrative of Oxford grey.but they cannot help their curiosity.
here,
even the cobblestones peep
out from beneath hot-poured asphalt,
to breathe once-ancient air afresh
and nuzzle

my two muddy soles.


Here is first, a black-and-white picture of my home at Crick (mine are the open windows on the second story), and second, a poem inspired by this soggy, sensational Oxford weather. I thought the juxtaposition of the poetry with the haunting chiaroscuro of the photo would make me appear very intelligent indeed. Or at least very emo.

Today in Oxford I...
- Set off a fire alarm.
- Watched a Simon Schama video for class.
- Drank 5 (tiny) cups of coffee.
- Visited my first pub.
- Debated theories of evolution and God's divine foreknowledge with my classmates, and told the story of how I got lost at Heathrow airport. Twice.

More to come from the City That Never Sleeps!

7 comments:

AshleyL. said...

beautifully written little bird, but what else should i have expected?!

your home looks quaint and wonderful! i wish i could hop a plane to see your right now! i get the feeling that you are happy and loving it :)

you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Marlette said...

Thank you for the poetry - of course, to me, YOU are poetry!

I wept looking at your open windows! I will dream of you there tonight - and smile in my sleep.

I love you so much. It was delightful hearing your voice across the miles today!

Christye said...

My thoughtful words to you are simple: Publish, publish, publish!! The poem is just as beautiful as I know you are! I have to say again, I'm so blessed to be named "after" you!!:)

Daddy said...

Lost at Heathrow - twice? I told you to get an American to British translation dictionary.

Fitzel

Anonymous said...

hehe. im in florida and wish you were here too. end of story.

Anonymous said...

Oh I miss you Christye! :)
I love your poem and I bet it looks even more beautiful in your own handwriting! :)

I hope we get to see more of your little nook! I look forward to seeing more photos of you!

(I listened to The Park, by my homegirl Feist, and thought of you. I think it's because she was singing about London. :))

Unknown said...

you got lost in Heathrow? how did that happen? i want to hear this story! and also, you say that pretty much every city is "the city that never sleeps." :)

te amo hermana bonita y quiero estar contigo ahora! voy a tener suenos de ti. te quiero.