11 September 2008

Stones, Henges, & Cathedrals


Salisbury Cathedral, Old Sarum, and Stonehenge: just your average Wycliffe lecture!

Today we boarded a real live double-decker bus (one of which you can spot if you look carefully between two stones on the left-hand side of the 'Henge!) and journeyed to Salisbury, home to the oldest cathedral built in one cohesive style. An hour-long tour with our knowledgeable septuagenarian guide (Tony) later, and a quick jaunt up the tallest spire in the world, and we were off to Old Sarum, the site of the earliest settlement in Salisbury, England. And finally, we paused at Stonehenge - where I took several cheesy jumping photos AND met my first actual, flesh-and-bone Druid! He was displaying propaganda trying to persuade the English to move the Visitor's Centre up the hill and away from the ancient Druidic holy site. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Stonehenge was constructed a good thousand years before Druids arrived in the country, but I did wish him the best of luck with his religious endeavors. He had a Cockney accent.

Today I touched 750-year-old stones, and walked where long-dead kings once trod. A beautiful and blustery day; one for the books, as they say.

3 comments:

Marlette said...

Oh beautiful pictures and beautiful words from my beautiful girl! I'm so proud that you knew enough history to tell the druid what's what - and the maturity and discretion NOT to!

I love you, love you, love you!

Heidi said...

Hey it's Heidi from Colorado. Hopefully you dont mind, but I got your blog address from Jamies's blog. I just wanted to check up on your journey's. It looks like you are having an amazing time so far. Have so much fun and thanks for your updates on your trip.

Anonymous said...

mmmm sounds fantastic, obvi :)

<3
J